Troops are the main fighting forces.
- They help you fight crime.
- They don't pay taxes like Colonists.
- Using Training Centers Crew can be trained to troops.
- Using Training Centers troops can be trained to High Guard Rangers.
- They will fight in Ground Combat and Boarding actions.
- They are better than Crew at Ground Combat, and are much better than Crew at forcing a surrender (and therefore taking prisoners).
- Defending Crew fight better than Troops in Boarding actions.
 Racial Specials
- A high racial Dark Forces power gives all personnel a big combat bonus (vs other personnel only).
- The Reunited Coalition of Systems can train Troops directly from Insectoids using the X. 1260 Royal Class Heavy Cruiser.
- The Cyborg cannot train Crew or Troops. They have special rules where Colonists are converted automatically to Crew or Troops.
- The Privateer Bands don't have Training Centers. They can train Troops on board ships with high experience.
- The Privateer Bands get a bonus to the Boarding attack power of their Troops based on the experience of their ships.
- The Colonies of Man can build Training Centers, however they can also train Troops on board ships.
- The Interstellar Master Traders can hire Chupanoids as mercenary Troops. These Troops can mutiny if base happiness is very low.
- The Lizards get a huge attack bonus for all their personnel in Ground Combat (vs other personnel only). They also get a defensive bonus.
- The United Enforcement Authority can convert prisoners into Troops using their Hawkins Institute.
- The United Enforcement Authority makes money training Troops (and Crew and High Guard) using their Training Centers.
- The Centaurs have a special Assault Craft called the Psi Warrior that can boost the fighting strength of their ground forces by up to 30%.
 Ground Combat Strength
 Vs Enemy Personnel
- The Lizards have by far the strongest Troops while attacking enemy personnel, followed in order by the The Evil Empire, The Holy Draconian Empire, The Crystal Assembly and The Stormer Kingdom.
- Only The Evil Empire and The Holy Draconian Empire have stronger Troops than The Lizards when attacking Lizard Troops.
- The weakest Troops are those of The Centaurs and The Aczanny Pyramids, with The Solar Federation and The Robotic Imperium not far behind.
 Vs Enemy Fighters and Assault Craft
- The Stormer Kingdom have the strongest Troops when fighting Fighters or Assault Units, followed by The Birdmen, with The Colonies of Man, The Reunited Coalition of Systems and The Lizards in joint third place.
- The Crystals have the weakest Troops for fighting Fighters or Assault Units, followed by The Centaurs and The Aczanny Pyramids.