Quick Build is available from the toolbar by clicking the button. From this window you can design ships using your current technology levels and spare parts to build new ships from those designs. This is one of the methods for building a new ship. Other methods are to use the Base / Ship tab (base shipyard) to build new ships or the Ship / Build tab (dry dock).
 Procedure Summary
- Design a ship using current tech levels.(see limitations)
- On turn X, build a ship.
- On turn X + 1, the ship appears at the base.
 Procedure Details
 Ship Design
Use the Quick Build interface to choose a hull and put all of the components on it that you desire then name your ship design. You can have several ship designs for the same hull, which allows you to have designs for ships that will provide a different function or purpose, such as one hull designed to take on the Lizards (weapons that are good versus armor) and another to take on the Crystals (weapons that use ordnance).
Each ship design will be saved as a .QSP file in the plans folder in your VGA Planets 4 installation folder. It will further be stored in the sNxN folder where the first N is the slot number of your game's WAR files and the second N is the player number. For example, C:\Planets4\plans\s5x7 will contain the quickbuild ship plans for the 7th player of the game in slot 5.
You can create QSP files using ShipCalc and Diplomat 3rd party utilities. When you use this method, you may not be able to build the ships right away because they may have higher technology parts than what you currently have available. The Tech Levels box in the Quick Build window (with a design selected) will show you in red which part doesn't have the proper tech level yet.
 Ship Building
Once you have a ship design selected and any of your bases meet the minimum requirements of Military Spaceport, Engine Plant,as well as the megacredits and metals requirements. The Weapons Factory is optional.
A number of Build buttons will appear. If you have multiple shipyards or Dry Docks available to build ships then those will be listed on the right under Builders. Select that Builder then press the appropriate Build button (which can build 1, 5, 10 or 20 ships at a time) to meet your needs. On the Base properties Pending Orders screen there will be entries for Quick Build for these ships.
- The metals and megacredits that any ships at or within 5 ly of the base if they are set to transfer to that base are used for building new ships. Allied ships must have a matching friendly code.
- Ships built at dry docks using Quick Build will use the training centers that any owned base has at or within 5 ly of the dry dock. The base with the most training centers will be used.
 Ship Appearance
On the turn following the ship building, the Pending Orders are processed and if Resource Point conditions are met then the ships will appear at the appropriate. They will appear with:
- Full Repair Units if available (0 if not)
- Full Ordnance if available (0 if not)
- 30 Fuel
- Full Crew if available (1 crew if not, 0 crew if no crew is available)
- All ship devices will be turned off
- The speed will be 0
- Hyperjump will be inactive
- Scanners will be inactive
- All repair functions on the Ship / Damage screen will be enabled except for Repair Armor and Replenish Armor from Ground Base
- The ship name will be the name of the Quick Build design
QuickBuild allows you to design any hull with any tech level parts. Parts that you don't have tech level for will be displayed in grey. Once designed, if you have the available parts in the base, but not the proper tech level then you will now be able to build it. When queuing a ship build, if you have parts in the base then they will be deducted from your base and not from your cash/metals.
- When you delete the pending order, the cost in metals and money is put back into the base; not the parts or a mix of parts & metals and money as you started with.
- The display of the Quick Build plan shows the total cost if parts had to be purchased. The actual cost to build will be different if parts are available. Only the money and metals requires to build the ship upon request will be deducted.
You can only build a ship without engines if you have a base with a Military Spaceport and an Engine Plant and you use Quick Build. Using the Base / Ship tab will not work.You can build ships with engines too when you have Military Spaceport and Engine plant!
- You can use a ship with a Dry Dock to build ships (engineless or otherwise) just as long as the materials are already onboard. (i.e. transferring materials won't let you quick build until the next turn. This applies to ships not bases).