- Boarding is the act of transporting crew, troops, colonists and high guard to an enemy ship for purposes of capturing the vessel.
- All personnel you transfer will take part in the attack, the defender as long he has 1 or more crew or guest remaining will fight back with his crew and guests. Ships with zero crew will still fight if there are guests on board.
- personnel in pods docked with the ship, will not take part in the boarding.
- Unlike in Ground Combat, defending crew fight much better than troops during boarding. They get a 10x bonus to their combat rating.
- Unlike in Ground Combat, colonists will give a good fight, but still worse than troops during boarding.
- Normally you need a Boarding Laser to board an enemy ship, it will work on all races but the The Solar Federation.
- The highest skilled ships get to use their transporters before lower skilled ships during attempted boarding actions.
- Both attacker and defender get a message similar to this:
| The ship BoardedShip belonging to race X has been sent a boarding from our ship BoardingShip at (XXXX.XXX, YYYY.YYY)|
Be in the 3ly Ship Transfer range for ships without boarding lasers, 4 ly range for ships with boarding lasers on.This was never true!
- The boarding laser range is 6 ly or less before movement phase 50 and is 5 ly or less thereafter. The same goes for standard (non-BL) transfers.
- In the first quarter of the movement phase (ticks 1-49 of 200), boarding is possible without combat. After the first 49 ticks, a combat will be triggered before being able to board.
- The ship initiating the transfer must have 90 or less System Damage.
- Just having the ID# will not work (info gathered via another player), you need a full (current or old) contact with the ship. This is largely a limitation of the client in that you can't set an object you don't have a full scan of as a valid transfer target.
- You currently don’t need a scan to perform a boarding attempt / transfer to a fully cloaked ship, an old scan is enough. ((Host 213.30))
- At least one of the following prerequisites must be met by the target Ship (special for the The Solar Federation).
Target Ship All Races Fed Crew 0 Shield Generator - Fuel <2 Shield Generator Damage >0 >49 System Damage >0 >49 Hull Damage >0 >49
Boarding not possible (when you are no Fed).
Host Order at Sections Pre-Movement (1.36), Movement (2.05) and Post-Movement (3.02)
- Any race can transfer crew to an enemy ship with 0 crew and 0 guests; this will capture it (without the need of a Boarding Laser).
- Guests will take part in any defensive boarding action. Even if there is 0 crew.
- Ship Transfer to enemy ship (or enemy base), including boarding increase your sensor image by +25.
- A ship with 0 crew on it can still be given commands by its owner. Any player capturing a ship will have its ships device on, like self destruct or mine laying.
- Ships captured during VCR combat have their Nav settings cleared, and will have their ship devices turned OFF.
- Ships captured before combat will retain their attack settings, so if you capture an enemy ship over an enemy base and the newly captured ship has "Fire At Ground Targets" set then the captured ship will engage the base.
- Before Host 213, the boarding target had its transport cleared. This is no longer the case, so it can reciprocate a boarding assault.
- After a successful boarding the captured ship will have one crew beamed over.
- After a successful boarding the speed of the captured ship is set to 0.
- Captured ships in combat and through boarding parties have skill and experience zeroed. Host 213.45
 Ship Devices involved in Boarding
- A Boarding Laser can cause some hull damage to allow transporters to function against the enemy ship. It also kills personnel on the target ship. More information on Boarding Lasers can be found here.
- A working Transport Inhibitor can block a hostile transfer at a chance of 70%.
- A Security Device prevents boarding lasers from harming any crew or guests on a ship, gives a bonus in when defending against a hostile boarding party and automatically self destructs the ship if it gets captured during boarding.
- A ship with a Cloak ON and a Sensor Profile of 0, can board more easily, you can go to your target by using Escort, Intercept or Auto Intercept, make sure your attack settings are all off. Next turn you can board and move away.
 See Also
- Boarding Simulator 1.5 NEW Best tool for boarding.
-  Online calculation of ship boarding at GRGZone
-  How Boarding Works, 2nd edition (ng posting by Gabor Törö)
- Capturing Ships
- Boarding Laser
- Ships captured during VCR combat will have its ships device turned OFF. Really ? Self destruct or glory device (not stormer) will be turned OFF ? - No, both device can't be turn off via boarding.